Historic Homes
Page

There are three historic districts in Chagrin Falls: Triangle Park commercial district East side historic district West side historic district You can read more about the historic districts by clicking here. CFHS has developed a walking tour of homes in the west side historic district. You can download a copy of the tour here. If you would like to avoid the walk you can see photos of some of the homes below. We have added our east side museum at … Read More

Museum Store
Page

The Chagrin Falls Historical Society is proud to offer books, puzzles, cards, and more related to the history of the village. All proceeds go to the care and upkeep of our museum. Tax and shipping fees will be added at checkout.  Local delivery and curbside pickup options will also be available during checkout. Items will be mailed within 2 days of purchase. For gift shop related inquiries, please email [email protected].

Postcard Collection
Page

Postcards are a window into the development and history of a community.  They have been used since their inception as a means to record history, celebrate unique features, record significant events and just to communicate. The Chagrin Falls Historical Society has a large collection of postcards from the area that are available for research or illustration. Use the links below to see a sample of our collection. Color Postcards  Industry Postcards Town View Postcards Fairgrounds Postcards

Exhibits
Page

The Chagrin History Center displays both current, themed exhibits that change periodically, and permanent exhibits of life, industry, and society in Chagrin Falls. Current Exhibits in the Gallery When We Were Young: Children’s Clothing from the 1850s-1950s – Now through Mid-August The Chagrin History Center’s new exhibit “When We Were Young: Children’s Clothing from the 1850s-1950s” is now on exhibit through mid-August! Taking advantage of our extensive textiles collection, visitors will take a walk through time as they view how … Read More

Research Center
Page

The Sihler Research Center houses our extensive collection of the history of Chagrin Falls and vicinity dating from the 1830s to the present.  The collection includes maps, books on Ohio history, Chagrin Falls newspapers, diaries, family histories and obituaries, records of businesses, organizations and village events, churches and schools, the Elizabeth Rodgers Research Collection, and the Beverly Ash Geauga County Research Collection. Our photograph collection includes glass plate images from the 1860s, photographs from The Chagrin Falls Exponent, images from … Read More

Photograph Collection
Page

The Chagrin Falls Historical Society has an extensive photograph collection which chronicles the businesses, government, houses, schools, and people of the Village and the surrounding area. The collection includes glass plate images from the 1860s – 1890s, photographs from The Chagrin Falls Exponent,  old and new photos of businesses and houses within the historic districts, and numerous photographs donated by Village residents. The majority of the collection has been cataloged – each photograph has been assigned a distinct accession number … Read More

Doll Collection
Page

We are working to make our large collection of antique, and now more modern dolls, tell the story of these toys and their owners across time.   What message did the doll give to the little girl who received her? How did events in the world affect the dolls that were produced? Why were dolls so pervasive a toy for girls? Much of the history of women was never written and remains lost, but little girls have left us their dolls … Read More

The Artwork of Henry Church Jr.
Page

Henry Church Jr. (1836-1908) Henry Church Jr. might have been one of the most talented people to ever live in Chagrin Falls. Born in 1836 as one of the first children in the settlement, residents referred to him as a “born blacksmith.” After learning the trade from his father, he opened his own blacksmith shop. However, Church Jr. had a unique quirkiness that carried him to hobbies beyond his profession. He played in the village band. He also kept Triangle … Read More

Civil War Memorial
Page

The monument in Evergreen Hill Cemetery was erected in 1867 through the efforts of Jane E. Church, sister of Henry Church, Jr. At the time, Miss Church was president of Chagrin Falls Soldiers’ Aid Society, which was organized September 5, 1861 and became an auxiliary to the Cleveland branch of the Sanitary Commission. It closed June 16, 1865 with a balance of $134 which was applied toward the monument. Miss Church was given the honor of dedicating the monument September … Read More

Industry Postcards
Page

Chagrin Falls waterpower and central location led to it becoming a manufacturing center.  Products made in the Mills and Foundries of Chagrin found a market throughout the Country and abroad.The Adams Bag Factory made paper bags and sacks. The Ober Lathe Co.  made a wide variety of lathes, trivets, irons and equipment for a worldwide market.  Many are now sought after by private collectors.  The main building is still in use as an office complex. Ober Employees  in 1913. Chagrin … Read More

Fairgrounds Postcards
Page

In 1873 the Union Fair Association purchased 34 acres on the South side of east Washington Street.  They built a race track and stadium and the facility was used for the Cuyahoga County Fair until the 1920’s.  This site is now the Campus of Chagrin Falls High School, Middle School and Board of Education offices.  The stadium is still in use for a multitude of sports and community activities. A trotter race at the Fairgrounds The County Fair A wheelbarrow … Read More

Town Views Postcards
Page

This great postcard dates from around 1910.  It shows a view looking South up the hill on S. Main street.  The building just past the hotel is now the Re-Max Realty Company. Corner of Washington and Franklin Streets.  The building on the right was Henry Church’s Blacksmith shop.  The Masonic Hall and Lowe’s TV are there today. Triangle Park – the Bandstand wasn’t built until 1877 Three years later trees have been planted and there is a new bandstand Circa … Read More

Color Postcards
Page

Postcards are a window into the development and history of a community.  They have been used since their inception as a means to record history, celebrate unique features, record significant events and just to communicate. This group of historical postcards dates from the early 1900’s. This Hand-Colored postcard shows the famous carving known as Squaw Rock made by Henry Church (1836-1908) East Washington Street Corner of Washington and Main–Blue Tinted Postcard Main Street Looking North The high falls in Chagrin

Biographies of Famous Residents
Page

Bullard, John Crane, Clarence Gates, Washington Hill, E. B. Hutchings, William “Boss” Ober,George Williams, Adam Clark Williams, John Wesley

History
Page

Our Collections Exhibits Sihler Research Center Photograph Collection Doll Collection Postcard Collection The Exponent Newspaper (1874-1903) on Ohio Memory The Chagrin Falls Exponent Newspapers have been digitized on Ohio Memory thanks in part to the Ohio History Fund, a grant program of the Ohio History Connection. Chagrin Falls History Historic Scavenger Hunt A Short History of Chagrin Falls Did You Know? Chagrin Falls Trivia Biographies of Famous Residents Industries Steam & Electric Railways Life with the Interurban Railway Fairgrounds Airport … Read More

1 7 8 9 10 11 12 13