In 1938 the School Board issued bonds in the amount of $190,000 to improve the 1914 building by repairing, renovating and enlarging it. The Board received an additional $155,409 from the Federal Public Works Administration.
A wing was added to the 1914 building which consisted of 16 rooms for elementary grades, a music room, gymnasium, shower rooms, a cafeteria, a library, 2 rooms for a commercial department and an auditorium. The auditorium was the preferred venue for school events until the Performing Arts Center was built on the E. Washington St. campus.
Grades K-12 were now under one roof. Its distinctive cupola became a village landmark. Various grades moved to other buildings over time. The name of the school was changed to the Intermediate School in 1999 when the 7th and 8th grades moved to the High School campus. Much of the building was razed in 2017. The new building opened for grades 4 through 6 in 2019.