In 1957 the school district began using the 57 acres on E. Washington St., once the site of the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds. Lewis Sands Elementary housed kindergarten through third grade. In 1968, Gurney School was opened in South Russell to accommodate the growth in elementary school age children. Lewis Sands was partially demolished in 1998 to make room for the new 7th and 8th grade Middle School. The Lewis Sands meeting room is the only room remaining from the elementary school.
In 1959, the High School opened its doors at the former Fairgrounds. The master plan for the High School included a gymnasium and language arts building, which were added in 1961 and library and industrial arts additions added in 1965. The grandstand at the football field is a remnant of the old Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds. Over the years, renovations have created an integrated campus for the High School, Middle School, and Performing Arts Center.