In 1825 the Ohio Legislature required local governments to establish publicly funded school districts. The first schools in Chagrin were Orange Township schools until 1845 when Chagrin Falls Township was established.
The early schools were rough structures, usually one room, poorly heated, often dirty with slab wood benches. These early schools were scattered around the village, on Washington St., North St., Cottage St. and Maple St., and after 1845, around the township. Men and women were hired to teach during the two three month sessions each year. Attendance was not mandatory.
There quickly became a need for education beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic. In 1843, the Asbury Seminary was chartered to provide advanced education. Other “select schools” such as Dr. Harlow’s Commercial Institute followed. In 1849 Ohio required each school district to elect a Superintendent and a School Board. The School Board consolidated the township and village schools into one system.