In 1842, Curtiss Bullard and Cornelius Northrop built a dam downstream of the High Falls. A woodenware factory was constructed at the south end and a separately owned woolen mill was built at the north end. Northrup left the business and Bullard’s sons joined. The Bullard factory produced butter molds, rolling pins, potato mashers, steak pounders, bowls and other wooden items all made out of maple.
They were a leading firm in the U.S., and sold only to wholesalers who sold their products throughout the country. The company received patents for machinery used for boring molds and for the manufacture of butter molds, and in 1866 one for the mold itself.
The 1883 flood caused extensive damage to the factory, but they recovered. By 1885 the demand for butter molds ceased and the supply of maple dwindled so the factory’s machinery was sold. The devastating flood of 1913 swept both the empty building and dam downstream.