Following the close of the Civil War, the Soldiers Aid Society led by President Jane E. Church, had money left in its treasury. The Society decided to raise money to erect a monument at Evergreen Hill Cemetery to honor the 21 Chagrin Falls men who died during the war. Through residents’ donations and fundraising activities, sufficient funds were raised to build the sandstone obelisk that has stood as a sentinel overlooking the village for over 150 years.
The monument was dedicated on September 10, 1867, eight months prior to the first national Memorial Day. It was the first citizen funded Civil War memorial constructed in Ohio. Jane Church read the dedication address, an unusual honor for a woman. The monument lists the name of the soldiers and their date of death. Not all of them are buried in Evergreen Hill.
The Monument has been the focus of the annual Memorial Day Observation since 1868.