The residents of the village were proud of their band and believed it was important to provide them with a suitable place to perform. The rustic bandstand, designed and built by Mortimer Locke of Honeoye, NY, was erected in 1877 for the band. Local craftsman Henry Church, Jr. adorned the cupola with large elk antlers.
At first, some of the residents didn’t like the idea of a ‘rustic’ bandstand for their modern town, but once it was completed it became a source of pride. It has been a centerpiece for village activities ever since. The main body of the stand is octagonal in shape, eleven feet in diameter with a 5 foot projection at the south end for a speaker or band leader stand.
Throughout the years many different Chagrin bands have performed in this space and many community celebrations have been staged here. It has been carefully refurbished many times over the years, most recently in 1997.