The early settlers depended on shallow, hand-dug wells and cisterns to supply their drinking water. Fire protection water was delivered by a pump in the river, although it didn’t reach much of the village.
As the town grew the forests were cut down and the mills developed, the water flow in the river dropped. The water became too polluted to use. In 1881, and again in 1895, the wells and cisterns dried up. In response to these and other issues, in 1896 the Village bought property on E. Washington St. for a reservoir, developed a spring further to the east, and built a pumping station to bring the water to the reservoir.
The water service area has grown; more land was acquired and wells were developed; and a water quality laboratory was established. A major change occurred in 1985 when the Village stopped relying totally on its own water supply and tied into water supplied by the City of Cleveland.