The first railroad to come into Chagrin arrived in 1877. After several failed attempts starting as early as 1845, the railroad was the product of the efforts of many businessmen who believed it necessary in order for the manufacturing base to get their raw materials in and to ship out their finished products.
Originally a narrow gauge railroad, items loaded in Chagrin had to be offloaded and reloaded onto the standard gauge line in Solon in order to get to Cleveland and points south. The line came into the Village next to where the Post Office now stands. There was a spur from this line that went to a quarry in Bentleyville.
In 1889 the line to Solon was converted to standard gauge. Besides being used to haul freight, there was also passenger service. Passenger service on the standard gauge railroad ceased in 1932 and the last freight delivery was made in 1983 at which time the tracks were abandoned.