The first bridge across the Chagrin River at the High Falls consisted of 4 large tree trunks laid side by side. The approach on the south side was made of logs rolled on top of each other and covered with earth. The north end was solid rock. A more sturdy wooden bridge about 20 feet wide was built in 1834.
It remained a wooden bridge until a substantial stone structure was built in 1858. Chagrin Falls resident William “Boss” Hutchings was awarded the contract by the County to build the Main Street bridge. The bridge was a 22 foot wide double arch stone bridge that still is incorporated into the bridge that stands there today.
The bridge underwent significant repairs in 1886 and was widened. It was widened again in 1928 by an additional 11 feet to the width it is today. Repairs and upgrades continue to be made as needed.