Noah Graves (1800 – 1866) and his wife, Minerva, are credited with the beginning of the organized settlement of Chagrin Falls. Having stumbled on the High Falls and being impressed with the potential power of the river, he purchased 210 acres for $2,100 in 1833. He encouraged the original families to settle in Chagrin and built his home on the hill overlooking the Village.
Noah Graves was deeply involved in the development of the community. He was one of nine men who incorporated the Chagrin Falls Manufacturing Co. in 1839 for the production of iron, paper, cotton, woolen and silk goods and all industries for which water power was essential. He built a saw mill and a paper mill on the property, now Riverside Park.
Graves was an incorporator of the Champion Library in 1844, was involved in the township formation in 1845, and served as a Cuyahoga County Commissioner. Noah Graves and his family moved on to Indiana