The Chagrin Falls weekly newspaper, the Exponent, reported that from 1874 to 1910 there were over 19 women engaged in the millinery/dressmaking trade in the village. A milliner is one who designs, remodels and makes hats. No woman would be seen outside without a hat.
Clothing was not produced on a production line as it is today. Millinery and dressmaking were occupations that often took place at the same location and were two occupations that were respectable ways for a woman to make a living. A milliner’s shop might also sell ribbons, trimmings, buttons, embroideries, hosiery, laces and neckties.
Mrs. H.D Larned was in the millinery business for over 40 years in Chagrin Falls. She began as a milliner/dressmaker in 1864 and was still in business in 1910. She had given up the dressmaking trade in the 1880s to concentrate on her millinery creations. Her last store was on N. Main St. across from Township Hall.