The area along Front (now Bell St.) that dead ends at Main St. was known as Mechanics Row. There were carriage makers, furniture makers, blacksmiths and other small industries along both sides of the street.
Active businesses in Chagrin in 1842 included 28 joiners, 5 blacksmiths, 8 masons, 4 paper makers, 3 tailors, 6 carriage makers, 4 wheel-wrights, 5 mill-wrights, 2 chair makers, 2 painters, 3 harness makers, and 4 cabinet makers. While not all of these were located in Mechanics Row, this partial list from the Farmer’s & Mechanic’s Journal in August of 1842 edited by Jehu Brainerd and Myron S. Barnes, demonstrates the types of mechanic arts that were necessary for a growing community.
By the early 1900s most of these businesses were no longer in operation. The buildings comprising Mechanics Row along the north side of Front St. were condemned and torn down in 1915. The area is now the site of Bell St. Park.