As Chagrin Falls grew there was a demand for the tools and supplies needed to build homes and businesses. The first hardware store in the village opened in 1857 and it is the only remaining hardware dealer in the village today. Daniel Nettleton built this store on the east side of N. Main St. It has had many owners and is currently owned and operated as Chagrin Hardware Co. by the Shutts family.
There were numerous competing hardware stores in the village between the 1850s and the 1980s. Harris Bros. Hardware was touted as “one of the best arranged and attractive stores” in the Hardware Dealers’ Magazine in July of 1917. Other stores included Rufener Hardware which became Reed Hardware in 1938, C. E. Baker, W. H. Lines, Baer and Rehber, and Greed Hardware. Valley Hardware operated from 1954 to 1984.
In addition to hardware, some of these stores sold cars, motorcycles, household appliances, toys, and bicycles.