By the end of the 1800s the buildings in downtown looked much like they do today but the mix of businesses was different. There were grocery stores, dry goods stores, butchers, bakeries, fruits and vegetables vendors and flour mills. Allhouse, Globe, Porter’s, Bradley’s and other family groceries served the community until 1918 when Fisher Foods opened. Locally owned groceries were slowly replaced by chain stores in larger spaces.
The last family grocery store, Greenaway’s on Bell St., closed in the 1960s. When the Shopping Plaza was built in 1959 Fisher Foods and A&P moved into the Plaza. A health food store and Mazzulo’s replaced them. Later, the space in the Plaza was reconfigured to make one large grocery store and a large drugstore. Giant Eagle operated in the space for years and then closed leaving the village without a grocery for the first time since the 1850s. In 2017 the Heinen brothers opened a Heinen’s grocery in this space.