Henry Church, Jr. (1836-1908) was born in Chagrin Falls in 1836. He was a blacksmith by trade and a self-taught artist, working in a variety of media including cast iron, wrought iron, metal, stone sculpture, oil, charcoal, pencil and water colors.
His works can be seen in the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum in Williamsburg, VA, the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Chagrin Falls Historical Society. Locally, his large sculpture, known as Squaw Rock, brought him much notoriety.
Eventually, he leased his blacksmith shop and focused entirely on his art interests. In the 1880s, he created an art museum at Geauga Lake charging 10¢ for admission. Church was often commissioned to paint portraits and murals. He carved the stone lion that sits atop his grave at Evergreen Hill Cemetery based on the verse from Isaiah 11:6, “The Lion and the Lamb will lie down together, and a little child will lead them.”